27 February 2013

A drop in the ocean...

Individually we are one drop.
Together, we are an ocean.

Ryunosuke Satoro (126)
CC0 1.0 Universal Image, clkr.com

Module 4 of the Flat Classroom Certification course concerns, "Contribution and Collaboration". To me, these are essential components of being reliable digital citizens. Despite feeling I am the only drop in my school's ocean sometimes, I do think that courses like this really help build my PLN so I know I am not alone. The kind comments from Vicky really help too, as I am so used to not feeling appreciated or feeling isolated - a drop adrift. I operate on a knife-edge; on the one hand, I am very lucky to have an awesome principal who is into risk-taking, who encourages teachers to learn, read and try out new things and who wants me to keep blazing a trail; on the other hand, this means I am viewed as more knowledgeable than other teachers and have even been accused of being aloof and acting superior. Which is so NOT true - else why would I keep signing to learn more and be better? I wrote about this in 'Caring not Scaring' and recently, in 'Getting our Wires Crossed'
http://flamedaniel.deviantart.com
/art/Cloud-of-love-204918606

So, I have decided, I am going to keep going. I am going to stay principled in my belief system and let those who want to, come with me. As Vicky said in Meeting 4 today, we can only be responsible for ourselves. I have to thicken my skin and just stick to what I believe in the hope that others may want to come along for the ride. I need to build the confidence to stand up to people who say negative things about what I believe are positive points and just keep on keeping on. In my heart, I know it is right; I must not let doubters and less enthusiastic teachers, whose own self integrity may be called into question by my constant striving to be better, get to me.
http://love-hand-in-hand.deviantart.com/art/
kryptonite-rain-166875188

I will continue to contribute and collaborate: I will still run my PL sessions at school to help those who need and want it; I will keep on with my own PL; I will keep in blogging and Tweeting; I will keep on forging links - for example, a Mystery Skype Tweet has turned into a lesson from G5 in the USA to my G12 second language learners to help them with their English and their cultural awareness. Plus, today through the FCT meeting, I forged a new link with Claudia who wants to build a support network with me. If I can't be who I am to those I want to support; I will support those who want me to be who I am ;) I am also very excited to have signed up to be a Judge for FCP and an Expert Advisor for NetGenEd!

Through a fabulous, ever-growing PLN, this little drop is finding some others; and we will join together, we will collaborate and our cloud will grow. We will learn and strive to find the best methods and we will burst forth, raining down our love and knowledge of learning, in the hope of encompassing and inspiring more drops... and so letting the cycle begin again.

Those educators who sit out, isolated, in a drought of new thinking - you better get out your umbrella!
-----------------
Lindsay, Julie, and Vicki A. . Davis. "Chapter 6: Contribution and Collaboration, Flattening Classrooms, Engaging Minds: Move to Global Collaboration One Step at a Time. Boston: Pearson, 2013. pp126-157. Print.