24 May 2013

Teaching and leading beyond boundaries

Teaching and leading beyond boundaries
I feel I completely share the vision of UMUC's Professional Education Unit Conceptual Framework to "surpass boundaries of time and place, conceptions about the limitations of students, and maintenance of the status quo in teaching, learning and leading" (p.3) as embodying the exact same standards, skills and ethos I wish to instill in my learners.

The idea that the vision of UMUC's Professional Education Unit Conceptual Framework is to empower us to teach and lead beyond boundaries is one that excites me as something I hold dear for my learners. As an English teacher, I see my role as one that is changing to meet the needs of current learning and futre needs. Literacy to me means being able to read, understand, respond and communicate via paper, pen, video, film and digital means. Boundaries exist for me in regards to traditional styles of teaching and in terms of what are perceived as my role, but I want to push them, break them down and do more.
UMUC Professional Education Unit Conceptual Framework
January 2013

Goals
My goals for this programme are not only to learn more and get better at what I do, but also to gain a solid and authentic grounding in the latest research and thinking in this field to assuage any sceptics that fail to grasp how technology can move learning forwards. I want it to empower me to make informed decisions that allow me to "implement transformational instruction" (p.3) in my classroom. I want to prepare my learners "for a changing world" (p.5) and provide "effective educational experiences"(p.5) that are personalised for each and every learner's success.

I envisage that this course will allow me to empower learners, not constrain them within notions of what education once was, but to explore what it might be, can be and will be.
---------
UMUC's Professional Education Unit Conceptual Framework, 25 January 2013