5 January 2014

A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel: Review

A Wrinkle in Time is a classic children's favourite. Somehow - don't ask me how - it had gone under my radar until I read When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead, in which time travel plays a huge part due to Miranda, the protagonist, being a fan of L'Engle's novel. And so I bought the graphic novel.

Time travel is something that both fascinates and baffles me. No amount of Back To The Future (the second one in particular) can help me wrap my head around the concept of travelling through time, which in itself is an abstract concept I struggle with.

L'Engle's novel was first published fifty years ago and graphic novelist, Hope Larson, has brought it to life for a whole new generation to enjoy. According to the School Library Journal, Larson's illustrations remain "true to the story, preserving the original chapter format and retaining L’Engle’s voice. Black-and-white artwork is accented with blue, echoing the original cover color" (Amazon).

Courtesy of MacmillanChildrens

My family are avid Dr Who fans, and so terms such as Tesseract are familiar to me, as is the notion of 'bending' time to get to places and other planets - even if I don't understand it all completely. What resonates with me most in this book is that above everything, it is love that saves us; it doesn't matter where we are, who we are or what we want, if we don't have love, we have nothing. Life is never easy, but L'Engle suggests that we must love. Work, children, friends, passions, obsessions - they make us who we are. They make it worthwhile even whilst causing heartache because after all, “a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points" (L'Engle).