5 January 2014

Eleanor & Park: Review

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

John Green, who happens to be one of my favourite YA authors, sums this book up perfectly:
“Eleanor & Park reminded me not just what it’s like to be young and in love with a girl, but also what it’s like to be young and in love with a book.”—John Green, The New York Times Book Review
I could not put this down and read it incessantly until I was done. I absorbed the characters, their heartaches, their joy - I was reminded of what it is like to be young, an outsider, in love.

This book has some strong language so I will recommend it with caution to my learners, but to every adult, particularly of my generation, I would make it a must-read. Set in the late 80s, anyone who was a misfit, a punk, a skater; anyone who loved Vans, dressed for themselves without a care for others, who didn't quite fit, who was bullied, who was insecure; anyone who appreciates great comics and great music, anyone who remembers first love - they will identify with and fall in love with the characters.

Eleanor & Park has gone straight into my top ten and I cannot imagine it being toppled easily (though I do have a few more of Rowell's books in my 'To Read' pile...). I have recommended it on Twitter and already got feedback about how much others are enjoying it too.

You MUST read it. You will not be disappointed. But you might cry.

If you like this, you will love:
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
Every Day by David Levithan
Paper Towns by John Green
The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M Danforth
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green