26 September 2012

Not enough time in the day...

This seems to be a recurring theme. Ironically, I have been writing this post for over a week and have to keep coming back to it as I have so much else to do. The only way I can catch up with myself is because I am at home, in bed, with a dreadful cold :(

The last week was hectic to say the least. I have written many Blog posts in my head - as I am running, cooking, reading, sleeping, talking to colleagues and learners - but have not had the time to sit down to actual type them up.

I did manage to find the time this (now last) weekend to pass my Google Apps for Education exams though. I had 'Docs' and 'Other Tools' to go and sat them both on Sunday. It was awesome to get them over and done with - though on sharing with my DP, I was 'shoved' in the direction of applying for 'trainer' status. Which of course I will - there are, at least, no exams for this, which is something I believe more and more strongly against as time goes on.

Sitting these exams reinforced my belief that exams prove nothing about learned knowledge; I knew the answers to a lot of the questions but I looked up others. It tested my ability to search rather than my learned knowledge of Google Apps; I am not good at falsely created scenarios and hypothetical questions. A test where you have to actually 'do', rather than answer questions on 'how' would be more realistic. Though that could just be me I guess as exams still exist the world over.

It did also make me think about the need for my teaching and assessing to be authentic - something the PBL course has also reinforced. I must ask learners to apply their knowledge in realistic and authentic tasks - which is why I like the Blog project and The Octopus's Garden project. The audiences for both these are real and the outcomes are tangible.

The Blog project is going very well. I was observed with Grade 8 who were at the end of the presentations and moving on to reflections; I had developed the reflection lesson in conjunction with ELS and LS and it was totally learner-led and personalised. The Internet has made teaching quite tricky this week as it has been in and out and this has put a big burden on me as I am planning my lessons as sites still, but am having to print out the instructions in case the website drops out. I also have to make sure I have hard copies of all my resources. This is almost doubling my workload - though I have been reassured that I am having an Internet upgrade installed in my block today/tomorrow so should see a difference. (Since writing this, the upgrade has been installed and, so far, it is being MUCH better).

Another issue I am experiencing is a reluctance of learners. Or perhaps it is a lack of skills - they do not want the personalised learning pages; they do not want to have to learn and think for themselves. I spend hours planning groupings that work and support best strengths and needs and have individualised  pages with instructions - yet they just guess what they need to do rather than figure it out. More than once I had to remind them that they must follow instructions - a success criteria written by them! They are too ready to come to me to tell them what to do than figure out what is next. I even had a go at some flipped instructions today - I recorded video instructions that they could review as needed that explained each step. This allowed each group to be working independently whilst I supported. They didn't seem to want to watch or read and still kept coming to me. I know they are not used to this but I did not quite expect this level of ineptitude or lack of desire to use new tools and ways of learning. (Since writing this, I have also found and signed up to a course for flipped classroom certification!).

On other fronts, this week has been successful - I attained Google Certified status, I retained my 100% score for every assignment submitted for PBL, I wrote my Project Overview for The Octopus's Garden,  I managed to record some videos to use in instructions in class and I fit a 10km run in. Plus, I just managed to write this Blogger post.

Next week I need to start building the website for the Learn Different: The Octopus's Garden , set up the Blog and Twitter account, then start the pre-launch campaign - the prototype posters are awesome (thanks fb x) but need approval. I might add some QR codes on to link to the website to generate more interest. Again though, the lack of IT skills or know-how may not work. However, I will not give up. I hope my drive and enthusiasm will bring the community into the 21st Century.

Next week I would also like to do some more reading on 21st Century literacy and skills, as I want to consolidate what it is that is important for learners in anticipation of the jobs they will have and technology they will use that do not even exist yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments gratefully received - thanks for taking the time to read :)
Anonymous comments and spam will be removed.